!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> InChristAlone: Learning to be Content

InChristAlone

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Learning to be Content

I read I Samuel 1-2 today. In chapter 1, I read of Hannah's cries and pleas in sorrow and bitterness at not being able to conceive a child. In chapter 2 (months, if not years later) I read her prayer of praise to God. Her outlook changed drastically. Hannah learned to "cast all of her cares"(I Peter 5:7)on the Lord. She learned that despite what she did not understand,despite others emphasizing her misfortune, despite the contradictions of her own thoughts and feelings, God worked "all things together for good according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28)
Hannah learned to be content. Her soul found happiness in God alone. What I noted by reading this passage was that Hannah had to learn to be happy in the Lord. Her flesh cried against her circumstances. Her mind was probably bombarded with questions and doubts of Who this God was that she served. I wonder if injustice entered her mind. This was a circumstance that did not seem fair.
I also noted that she learned endurance. Hannah was provoked by Peninnah (her husband's other wife) Just a sidenote here, but I as a woman cannot even imagine having to share a husband:)
Peninnah had several sons and daughters. But Hannah had none. Verse 6 of chapter 1 says,
"And her adversary also provoked her sore, for to make her fret, because the LORD had shut up her womb."
Peninnah was Hannah's adversary. She boasted to her of her fruitfulness and Hannah's barrenness. She pointed out nothing but the bad.
So how did Hannah react to this? She wept and would not eat. It tugged at her soul. But, she went to the temple and prayed unto the Lord. It says that "she was in bitterness of soul." Hannah cried and pleaded with the Lord. She was making her petitions known to Him. She poured out her soul before Him. She vowed that if God would give her a child that she would give him back to Him to serve Him all the days of his life.
The Lord heard her cry and granted her request. Hannah bore a son. What did she name him? Samuel. And why? "Because I have asked him of the Lord." (v.20)
Hannah's faith had grown. She made a promise to God and kept it. She knew that nothing was as important as living for the Lord. Hannah learned to be content. God gave her that son and she raised him until he was old enough to go to the temple and serve the Lord. She faithfully took Him back. She had learned of a God Who was worthy of this sacrifice.The separation between mother and son could not even compare to the joy in being obedient to the Lord.
The first ten verses of chapter 2 compose her prayer of praise to God. The lessons she learned were evident. She acknowledged the sovereignty of God in her prayer. She showed her delight in serving such a wise God. Her heart rejoiced in Him!

I can learn a lot by looking at Hannah's life. I have to learn to be content. However, it is a cry against my flesh, especially when circumstances do not seem "fair" or when those around me question my faith or when I compare my life with the life of someone else who seems to be so "happy."
In learning contentment, I must pour out my soul before the Lord. If I do not understand, then I need to take it before a God Who is all-knowing. If I think something seems unfair, I must remember that He is "just to forgive me of my sins." (I John 1:9) I must increase in brokenness in these times and not bitterness. I wonder, do I display a willingness to learn from the experiences that God controls in my life? Have I spent too much time focusing on my "problems" and not enough time pouring out my heart before the Lord in regard to these "problems"? Casting all of my cares on the Lord reveals contentment. It also brings great joy and peace!

My prayer:
"Lord, help me to take note of what I have learned today and apply it to my life. I know You are the only One Who brings contentment. Give me a faith to cast all my cares on You. Take my burdens and my cares so that I may have my complete focus on You.Thank You for hearing my petitions and for making it possible for me to draw near to Your throne. You bring me great joy and peace. Please keep teaching me so that I may grow more and more into Your likeness. You are my joy, You are my love, You are my life! Thank You, Father."
posted by Heather Livingston at 9:38 AM

8 Comments:

Hey Heather!!! Wow, awesome blog! I read in a book (Rachel's Tears...REALLY good book!) that it'd good to tell God all of your feelings and thoughts (although He already knows them). God wants to know how you feel, good or bad! He wants to be your best friend! I thought that was cool. The past month or so I have been telling God all of my feelings and thoughts, and I find that it helps a lot. God always finds a way to work things out for His glory! Anyways, really good blog!!! You're awesome, Heather!
KEEP LIVIN FOR CHRIST!
Ashley:)

5:44 PM  

Heather,
This is an awesome story that God has chosen to preserve in his word for us. It has so many truths for us to learn. I enjoyed reading this post. Great Journal!!! It is wounderful to know that God hears the cries of His people. Hannah went before the Lord and poured out her heart and He answered her prayers. It amazes me how many times we become discontent with our circumstances and we complain instead of going to the Lord first with our discontentness. When we are not content with our circumstances we are robbed of our joy. When we are finding our Joy in the Lord we will be content with whatever circumstances come our way. My the Joy of the Lord be our strength.

Michelle

11:45 PM  

Heather,

It sounds like the Lord is teaching you what He taught Paui,

“Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”
(Phil. 4:11-13, KJVS)

This is a lesson that I have to learn over and over again. The Lord spoke to me from your entry! Thanks!

Blessings,
Bro. Aaron

4:30 AM  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:25 AM  

Heather,

Thank you for that encouraging journal! I really needed to hear that. Know you are not alone in this lesson! Thanks again!

6:26 AM  

Wow! That was awesome!!!!!!!

Thanks for visiting my blog as well...I loved reading your post on Hannah...fantastic! Challenging! It gave me a lot to think about.

Blessings,
Rebecca

10:43 AM  

Thank you for your words of encouragement on my bolg. You have picked an amazing story to learn from. Being content is not always easy. When I moved back home two years ago I left everything behind. All I actually own are my books, pictures and some kitchen stuff. After two years, I finally have my own bed. I have been sleeping on the couch for two years. But it wasn't until I was content where the Lord had put me, that I was able to have a bed. If we cannot be content with worldly things then who will trust us with true treasure?

9:13 PM  

I doubt Hannah would have been willing to give Samuel back to God, if it were not for that lesson in contentment he taught her years before -- just another example of His Providence! Maybe God lets us get to the point that we except not having what we think we must have, so that when we do have it, we've already accepted not having it, so we have an attitude of worship with it, and will glorify the Lord with it. Through prayer, Hannah became content with not having before God provided. The Lord really showed you a lot out of this passage. It was a very profitable read!

I am just about caught up on everyone!

In the Lord,
Jeremy

3:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home